Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Arctic Fever Fat Bike Race on Lake Minnetonka

February 23, 2020 was the rescheduled race date after a blizzard postponed the January date. I was excited for the date changes since the original date was Lisa's birthday weekend, and I couldn't make the race. 

This race is roughly 13 miles mostly on Lake Minnetonka ice, with some bushwhacking single-track, and some miles on the regional trail. The race hosts will drag a sled over the course, but it's basically riding the lake snow with no grooming. 

All smiles at the start line

Pre-race, I rode out around the point on to the main bay and felt like my ~6 psi pressure would be good on the snow conditions. 

I know the start of this race can be a shitshow, so I put myself near the front of the start area. I was a little shocked to see that after the start sprint settled down, I was in the top 10-15 rides (odd place for me at any race).

I was doing well until we hit the Big Island and the snow seemed to get deeper and softer. Or I just started getting too worn out from the effort. I hit the slush a bunch, nearly every fall let another rider or two past me. 

Conditions were rough for everyone, lots of falling and dabbing from all riders. Melty mashed potato snow, trying to follow the line made be the rider in front ... It turned into the longest log ride ever. Plus a few sections of just walking the bike. 

As we left the deep snow by the Big Island, I started overtaking some of the riders that passed me. The last on lake section on Carson Bay had us go under Minnetonka Blvd bridge on polished bare ice, with a low bridge deck. I was worried about hitting my head on the bridge, so I was sitting on the top tube kicking with one foot praying I'd avoid hitting that ice. Back on the snow, everybody was forced to walk the route around the bay, the snow was simply un-ridable. To get off the bay, we had to climb a steep 6-foot bank onto the trail. 

We finished with 3 miles on the Lake Minnetonka Trail which was a total disaster of slush and peanut butter limestone. My drop-bars we an advantage as we were riding into the wind to get to the finish, I was able to pass a few more riders on the way back to finish line at Excelsior Brewing.

Back at the brewery, I enjoyed a slice of pizza and a beer while I tried to hold off the shivers. I didn't stay very long because I was getting too cold. I biked to/from Excelsior for the race. The ride home was real tough being soaked to the bone and spent from the race. The temps were dropping, and I knew I had to get home before it got too much colder. I took the roads home since I knew the trail was awful. I had to make a point of pushing myself hard to keep my body warm enough ... it was a serious case of mind-over-body. 

All-in-all, it was a great day of challenges and pushing myself with conditions I've never raced.

Gotta say I'm very pleased with the results from my first race of 2020. Placed 22nd of 119 finishers (over 200 registered). Typically I'm very middle of the pack at winter races, so this was kinda surprising. Link to race results - http://www.gopherstateevents.com/results/fitness_events/results.asp?event_id=940

My face at the finish line said a lot about this race





No comments:

Post a Comment